LEED Gold Certified Design
As the first Philadelphia building designed by famed international firm Bjarke Ingels Group, the four-story structure is designed with a mesmerizing mix of angles and curves in a gesture resembling the bows of the massive decommissioned warships in the docks surrounding the Navy Yard. HF Planners utilized this unique building shell to create a beautiful, functional interior fit-out for their client. The design-forward aesthetic provides a perfect new home for EMD Performance Materials, which moved into the first and third floors of the building late 2017.
HF Planners incorporated green materials throughout the space while utilizing the company’s unique branding identity for color selection. Key factors for selecting materials including zero VOC/ off gassing, recycled and recyclable content and sustainable harvesting techniques.
Materials used were:
· Felt baffles in ceiling for noise reduction
· Acoustical clouds in ceiling for to identify collaboration areas and sound absorption
· Ceiling grid with pre and post-consumer recycled content.
· Acoustical ceiling tile with recycled content for noise reduction
· Resin backsplash in pantry and coffee bar
· Recycled quartz counters in pantry
· Linoleum flooring throughout the cafeteria
· Terrazzo flooring with recycled aggregate in lobby
· Biobased VCT in lab areas (no PVC).
· All furniture upholstery meets LEED requirements for IAC and recycled content.
· LED Lighting/ Daylighting and Sensor Controls
The ceiling especially played a special role in the design of the space. It had to perform in the space both aesthetically and acoustically, all while supporting the green initiative and LEED goals. Certainteed’s Ecophon Clouds and Symphony Grid System served the design well. Materials were specified in bright white to leverage as much reflectivity as possible. Sound absorption was also critical in the ceiling design since so many vertical surfaces had low NRC ratings. As a bonus, the product had a great lead time to help meet an aggressive building schedule.