Retro commissioning is a way to improve a building’s efficiency and systems operations. It is when an existing building is examined and updated to improve the cooperation between the equipment and its occupant’s comfort. Of course, cosmetics and physical appearance is always something to consider, but retro commissioning also heavily focuses on the internal functioning and design of a building. By retro commissioning your building, you reap valuable benefits. These benefits range from reducing costs to fixing any past flaws to increasing efficiency and comfort of the people using the space.
Here are some main reasons you should Retro Commission your office building:
· Design Flaws are uncovered when a building is being analyzed during a plan for retro commissioning. Retro commissioning begins with identifying what is currently in need of improvement in an existing space. It could be faulty piping or leaking valves, poor wiring all the way to thermostat malfunctions and switches. Design flaws that exist can drive up costs of building operations and effect occupant comfort in a negative way.
· Reducing costs is a huge benefit that comes from retro commissioning your building. Reducing costs is always a bonus for any sized company. Retro commissioning helps with reducing costs by improving on energy consumption as well as equipment and systems operations. As a byproduct of retro commissioning that affects the reduction of costs is being able to extend equipment life. By improving the existing building’s systems and operations, you are improving building efficiency as well.
· Improved Efficiency is one of the main advantages to retro commissioning. Improved efficiency includes better lighting, more up-to-date equipment, better heating and cooling systems and more advanced and accurate controls and air quality. A retro commissioned office building has more efficient operations that positively effect both time and money. Retro commissioning the existing space will evaluate the existing space and help what equipment could be more efficient for the building overall.
· Going Green goes along with improving efficiency, but is a huge benefit to retro commissioning. A retro commissioned building will, on average, lower energy costs by 15%. That is simply by taking the existing space and improving it. This in turn, reduces operating expenses by having more efficient equipment.
· Occupant comfort plays an integral role when retro commissioning. Arguably the most important factor, the occupants and guests inside a building are the ones who benefit from a more efficient space. Also, looking at equipment such as heating and cooling systems, can improve air quality. Looking at the space, a redesign could open up space previously not used to result in increased comfort as well. Retro commissioning improves both the functionality, wellness and productivity of everyone in the occupied space.
Retro commissioning has a multitude of beneficial results that improve upon many important factors that go into a successful workplace and workflow. Are you wondering how your office space can benefit from retro commissioning through better efficiency and occupation comfort? Contact HF Planners today to have our team of adept facility managers let you know how your space can improve.